Background in surfing Edit
Dan started surfing aged 12 at Bondi Beach, Sydney, Australia (1977). During his teens, he repaired surfboards in the backyard of the family home in Rose Bay. He introduced surfing as a school sport at Cranbrook School, Sydney, in 1981. His school holidays were spent at Angourie Point, staying at the family's holiday house, bought from Tracks founder John Witzig in 1977. Dan's elder brothers took him on weekend surfing adventures in the family's camper van, introducing him to numerous reef breaks on the NSW Central Coast. In 1983, they surfed Lord Howe Island, Bali and G-Land, documentinng the adventures on super-8. In 1984, Dan established a clothing label for Insight Surfboards, which was then his elder brother Greg's surfboard label. The association developed with the opening of a surf shop at Bondi Beach with David Gyngell in 1985 and the design of curved surfboard fins. In 1987, he lived and surfed on Norfolk Island, which inspired his short story entitled Outer Island.
- Developed wave pool models (1993).
- Designed Interactive tidal graphs (2003).
- Worked for Coastal Watch as surf forecaster (2004).
- Designed Cylindrical lattice modelling tool (2004).
- Established Surferpedia (2007).
- Published academic research in Surfism (2009).
- Surfing stereotypes
- Surfing the ever present moment
- Surfboard design theory.
- Cylindrical lattice modelling tool.
- Short story about surfing on Norfolk Island.
- BA in English at Aalborg University, Denmark.
- MA in English and Multimedia at Aalborg University, Denmark.
- Zen and the Art of Surfboard Design. Indo-Pacific Journal of Phenomenology, Volume 8, edition 1 (May 2008).
- Surfism: The fluid foundation of consciousness: A philosophical treatise.
- Bondi Stories: A literary magazine.